Recording Odors and More: Advice for Sullivan Ranch and Stoneybrook Hills Residents

I haven't written about the Mount Dora City Council meeting on December 15th yet for several reasons.

  • You can listen to a recording of the meeting here. 
  • Although I was there, I spent all of the meeting in the hallway as the room was too crowded during a pandemic, so I didn't hear much of what was going on.  Although fixing the smell is important to me, my health and my significant other's health is more important. 
  • It was clear to me that there was no regard for Covid-19 when the decision was made to hold the meeting in the City Council Meeting Room instead of the much larger Community Room.
  • I don't know the room measurements but I believe that it was unsafe to be in. (I have a contract tracing certificate from Johns Hopkins.) You can calculate the number of safe minutes using the square footage, ceiling height, and the number of people present here.  I don't know how big the room is but I assumed it was 1,000 square feet with 12-foot ceilings. I don't know how many people were in there but plugging in 25 shows that it was unsafe to be in for more than 59 minutes. We were there for around 90. The meeting itself was 3 1/2 hours long. 
  • As is normal with odors, there is an uphill climb in getting officials to believe you. With the exception of one Council member, I believe that this is the case here. Fixing the problem would cost money and it's easier to deny than to actually fix it. Fixing this problem will take persistence and lots of reporting. 
  • I'm only affected by the odor from the area North of us part of the year. Residents of Sullivan Ranch and Stoneybrook Hills are affected much more often and are more knowledgeable about the conditions associated with it. For that reason, they need to be proactive. I can't advocate for what I don't smell and I don't get it near as much as they do. 
I suggest that residents continue to report odors and to maintain odor logs themselves. The CDC has some great suggestions. I find the affidavit to be an interesting suggestion.



While I was writing this, I learned than several of my family members from out of state tested positive for Covid. I am so glad that I didn't sit in that crowded room or remove my mask while I was speaking. 

I may write more about this later. Over and out for now. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Locations of Odor Complaints 3-03-2020

Mount Dora's Wastewater Treatment Plant Smells.