Questions to Ask RE: Dump Annexization at City Council.

sandersfeldv@cityofmountdora.com

Hello Mr. Sandersfeld,


I recently learned that the Mid-Florida Materials (construction dump) has requested that the City of Mount Dora annex their property into the city and that this issue is to be voted on at the City Council meeting on Thursday, September 24, 2020.

I am seeking information on how the city will deal with the odors coming from this dump that the residents of nearby communities, including Sullivan Ranch, have long complained of. Specifically, I want to know if Mount Dora can make it clear that odors will not be tolerated. At times, when the wind in coming in from the North, we can smell the dump as far South as Lake Ola Drive in Tangerine.

I spoke with a member of the dump management and he assured me that they've had no complaints since they took ownership. The county sent someone out the day when I complained, who came to my house. By then the atmospheric pressure had risen and the smell was gone. The county official informed me that that he wasn't going to file a report and that I couldn't have possibly smelled it as my home elevation was too low and that I didn't have a crawl space. As it turns out there is a crawl space and I know I smelled it, plain and simple. So that is a complaint, even if it wasn't recorded. Without weather records, I will not be so easily written off. 

My neighborhood has been dealing with bad odors from Anuvia Plant Nutrients and Shelley's Septic Tank when the winds come in from the south. Due to Orange County Code Enforcement and the FDEP, our situation was improved until the winds started shifting in from the North. The odor comes in from the dump during the early morning hours when the barometric pressure is dropping and dissipates as it rises. I was awakened three times in one week before I called the dump and finally got a manager. 

How does Mount Dora plan to handle odor complaints if this property is annexed?  I am in need of a quick response to share with affected community members on both sides of the Lake/Orange County Line.

Thank you for your assistance in this matter.

Best regards,

REDACTED



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recording Odors and More: Advice for Sullivan Ranch and Stoneybrook Hills Residents

Locations of Odor Complaints 3-03-2020

Mount Dora's Wastewater Treatment Plant Smells.