Letter to Amy Yoder of Anuvia Plant Nutrients


May 31, 2020

Amy Yoder, CEO
Anuvia Plant Nutrients 
PO Box 220
Zellwood, Fl 32798


Dear Ms. Yoder,

I’m your neighbor of sorts. I live three miles north of 6751 W. Jones Avenue, Zellwood 32798.  Until this January I had only a vague idea of the location of your plant and I’d never heard of Anuvia. I had never driven down  Jones Avenue for any reason and I’ve lived her for 26 years. 
Around the time that your plant opened I was aware of a foul odor. Sometimes it was horrible and at other times it was simply disagreeable. Unfortunately, due to the position of our home, we get the smell from your stack whenever you’re running (and sometimes for hours after you’ve shut down) and the wind is blowing in from the South. 
The odors increased in frequency and intensity when your plant increased production some time around January.  Since that time I’ve become familiar with the sickly sweet smell of hydrogen sulfide. 
My understanding is that we are subjected to levels of 30-100 ppm (at levels below 30 ppm it smells like rotten eggs) of hydrogen sulfide  and that we are being exposed to levels greater than deemed safe for construction or shipyard workers during an eight hour shift.  I have never smelled a rotten egg odor (below 30 ppm) and we’ve had to endure horrible stenches for up to 60 hours at a time. 
As a result of the chemicals your plant puts out via its stack, I’ve had episodes of dry eyes, stuffy ears, coughing, and upset stomach. I’ve been forced to chose between enjoying my yard and staying inside when I’d rather be outside. 
In addition to the health consequences, I’ve had to spend literally hours writing e-mails, responding to complaints, and reporting odor events.  My neighbors and I have had to become weather reporters for the FDEP to monitor for temperature inversions. We should be able to live our lives without the stress and disruption that Anuvia has brought into our lives. 
I’ve tried to do all of the right things. I visited your plant with another neighbor and met Alex Ryan. I’ve texted him a number of times since February 25th until he stopped responding after March 22nd. I was invited to meet with the plant manager and declined as Anuvia staff wanted to meet only with me and not with the other three people who were working on the odor problem. By the time that Anuvia came around to meeting with all of us, the others decided that they no longer wanted meet. 
Now we need for you to do the right thing by making the changes necessary so that we don’t even know that Anuvia exists. It’s not our fault that your factory was built without the proper engineering standards in place. We just want to breath fresh air. 
Sincerely, 
REDACTED


The letter went out today certified mail return reciept requested

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recording Odors and More: Advice for Sullivan Ranch and Stoneybrook Hills Residents

Locations of Odor Complaints 3-03-2020

Mount Dora's Wastewater Treatment Plant Smells.